Lesson 5 Names and Fatherhood of GOD
Part 1 - Names
Up to this point in our study we have learned about the existence of GOD, and about HIS nature and unity. In Bible lands, names had and have a significance unknown to us in the West. In a study of the names of GOD we can learn many things about GOD.
The Names of GOD are found in three forms:
2. Compound with EL
3. Compound with JEHOVAH
Primary name is one word only. For example: EL, ELAH, ELOHIM, JEHOVAH, ADON, ADONAI, GOD, LORD
Compound with EL. For example: ALMIGHTY GOD, MOST HIGH GOD, EVERLASTING GOD
Compound with JEHOVAH. For example: LORD GOD, JEHOVAH the EVERLASTING GOD
Let´s take a look at some of the Names of GOD, where they are found in Scripture, and what they mean.
1. ELOHIM is found in Genesis 2:4 and means THE ONE WHO IS MIGHTY or THE LORD WHO CREATES.
Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
2. EL ELYON is found in Genesis 14:22 and means THE ONE WHO IS SUPREME or THE LORD WHO OWNS.
Genesis 14:22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
3. ADONAI is found in Genesis 15:2 and means THE ONE WHO IS RULING or
THE LORD OUR MASTER.
Genesis 15:2 And Abram said, LORD God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
4. EL OLAM is found in Genesis 21:33 and means THE ONE WHO IS MYSTERIOUS or THE LORD WHO REVEALS.
Genesis 21:33 And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
5. JIREH is found in Genesis 22:14 and means THE ONE WHO REDEEMS or THE LORD WHO PROVIDES.
Genesis 22:14 1And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
6. ROPHI is found in Exodus 15:26 and means THE ONE WHO HEALS or THE LORD WHO HEALS.
Exodus 15:26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.
7. NISSI is found in Exodus 17:5 and means THE ONE WHO FIGHTS FOR US or THE
LORD OUR BANNER.
Exodus 17:5 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go on before the people, and take with thee of the elders of Israel; and thy rod, wherewith thou smotest the river, take in thine hand, and go.
8. YEKADDIA is found in Exodus 31:13 and means THE ONE WHO IS SANCTIFICATION or THE LORD WHO SANCTIFIED.
Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
9. SHALOM is found in Judges 6:24 and means THE ONE WHO GIVES PEACE or THE LORD OUR BANNER.
Judges 6:24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovahshalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
10. SABOOTH is found in I Samuel 1:3 and means THE ONE WHO IS POSSESSING or THE LORD OF HOST
I Samuel 1:3 And this man went up out of his city yearly to worship and to sacrifice unto the LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were there.
11. ZIDKENU is found in Jeremiah 23:6 and means THE ONE WHO IS JUSTIFYING or THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
Jeremiah 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
12. SHAMMAH is found in Ezekiel 48:35 and means THE ONE WHO IS PRESENT or THE LORD AT HAND.
Ezekiel 48:35 It was round about eighteen thousand measures: and the name of the city from that day shall be, The LORD is there.
13. ELYON is found in Psalm 7:17 and means THE ONE WHO IS BLESSING or THE LORD WHO BLESSES.
Psalm 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
14. ROI is found in Psalm 23:1 and means THE ONE WHO IS CARING or THE LORD OUR SHEPHERD.
Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
GOD is revealed to us through HIS Names. Let us give thanks for HIS love and care of us, HIS children.